Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Seven days of Gratitude



Now, more than ever, is a time to be thankful and grateful. Yes, I should try to remember year round to be thankful, and I try, I do, but it slips by the wayside sometimes.

I decided to get caught up on the thirty days of thankfulness challenge and let you all know (and myself) what I am most grateful for in my life.

1) My children. They are the loves and lights of my life.  I never knew such an all encompassing love and will never know another like it. They give me purpose and meaning and more joy (and frustration) than I ever imagined.

2) My husband. We have had a rocky road, lately. Not gonna lie. Things aren't always easy and there are peaks and valleys in any marriage. I feel like we have been in a deep valley for some time, but lately we are making some progress on coming up on the other side of that peak! This guy never gives up on me and loves our kids like crazy. I fell more in love with him the day he held our kids for the first time. He is an awesome dad and has been working so hard to support our family and help us get ahead. He has been working over 75 hours a week the last few months! He still comes home and helps with dinner and gives me some "me" time. I need to remember to thank him more!

3) My family. Parents, in laws, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, cousins. Seriously! I have the most supportive family ever. They are always willing , at the drop of a hat, to help me out in a bind. I rely on my mom and step-dad for so much (too much, probably) but they never complain. I appreciate every single person in my family and how much they help with our kiddos and us. We hardly ever have to worry about a sitter because everyone practically fights over who is going to watch them.

4) My voice and the ability to make it heard. I know this comes right on the heels of last night's election, but it is so true. Maybe we don't all agree on the outcome but that's okay too. At least we have a say in it. I am happy to live somewhere where I am not only entitled to have my own opinion but I am encouraged to voice it (at appropriate times ;) ). I am not going to get all political on here but I do want to say that regardless of what party you voted for, and what you believe, I respect you for it. I was a little taken aback at how much negativity there has been surrounding this election on BOTH sides of the party line. I can agree to disagree and I think that is something to be thankful for too. It is important to have differing opinions. We can't all be the same?!

5)The roof over my head. I know I dwell on the things I don't have way to much. I get envious and jealous too easily of others. I am thankful for my house and the fact that we were able to buy it. It was always a goal of ours and we were able to make it a reality two years ago. It may not be my "dream" house but with a change of perspective it could be. :)

6) Friends. This one goes along with family. I have a great group of friends. I know I have struggled with having to cut ties and let a few people go, but I have also had the opportunity to strengthen new friendships and reconnect with old friends from the past. I am grateful that I have the outlets to do so. Some people that I least expected to have become the closest of friends.

7) Doctors and modern medicine. To some this may seem a silly one, but seriously, what would we do if we were somewhere and had no access to help when we needed it? I don't mean to be vague, but without going into all of the details (right now), there have been some things going on in my life health wise. I am grateful and don't take for granted that I have doctors and medicine to help.

So, there you have it! Next week I will try to post another seven things that I am thankful for.



3 comments:

  1. Love this post!! Brandon is such a hard working man...and to give you me time - he gets points in my book!! And you are such a hard working mama and wife...you definitely have an awesome perspective on life and love. You are surrounded with love and wonderful people, Ashley!
    I am so thankful for drs and medicine - Steve and I give thanks every day for them! You're in my prayers, gf!
    Have a relaxing night!
    Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

    Such a lovely post. It's so beautiful to read about how much you love your kids and your husband. Our families are such blessings, and it's awesome to hear people be so grateful for everything in their lives. Thank you for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list of things to be thankful for!! You write so well too, I admire that :)
    I think we all go through rocky periods in a marriage, I know we have. But without the hard times, we wouldn't know just how good the other moments are :) It is all part and parcel of getting to know one another, life is a journey and because you married your soul mate doesn't mean you have to like them everyday lol
    Keep on being grateful, you're a beautiful person Ashley! xo

    ReplyDelete