Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Salt Dough Pebble Plaques


It's no big secret that I am not very crafty but there are plenty of resources out there for people like me to get some great ideas.

Long before Pinterest entered my life I would pull ideas out of magazines (still do) and file them away for inspiration. This project was adapted from an article in the August 2012 edition of Family Fun magazine.


Ingredients:

3 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 and 1/4 - 1 and 1/2 cups of water
Pebbles of all shapes and sizes





Directions:

Mix up your ingredients in an electronic mixer on a low to medium setting until a ball forms. If mixture is still crumbly add a bit more water until it isn't.

Knead the dough till it is smooth. I think I may have rushed this a bit so mine didn't turn out as smooth as I had hoped. Oh well.

Divide the dough into two or three balls. I made the mistake and did four and I think I would have preferred them thicker (see, not so crafty).  Press and flatten them onto foil and press pebbles into each one in your design of choice.



The original directions called for transferring the foil on a baking sheet and cooking at 275 for two hours. I felt like the foil stuck a bit to the bottoms and it may have been easier just baking it on the sheet without the foil. Next time, perhaps?

After I let them cool I placed them outside. I would love to use them as decor in our garden but the dog keeps sniffing around them and, well, he has been known to eat anything in sight!


4 comments:

  1. That is a fun idea! I bet my son would love doing something like this! Are they hard enough that they could be stepping stones?


    www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so cute!! it looks like you all had so much fun making them!! i hope you get to use them in your garden and the pup doesn't eat them! :) thinking of you and hoping the week has been good to you. you're in my thoughts and prayers!!
    xoxox
    maria <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out so well!!! I love them!

    I was thinking about you this week...sending prayers your way, and wishing you a weekend full of happiness and peace. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey ! I just came across your cute blog through the hop, and gladly added myself to your followers! Stop by and say hello maybe?! I also have a huge sponsor giveaway going on that you may be interested in, I’ll just put the link below!

    Hope to see you there lovely!
    xoxo

    Urban Outfitters Giveaway

    ReplyDelete