Monday, March 12, 2012

Still on my mind

If you have been reading my blog for awhile then you may already know that I have been struggling with certain people in my life. People who, once upon a time, I considered to be really close friends. I wrote about this before here.

I touched upon the fact that I am learning to accept that sometimes people come in and out of your life at the times you need them most. We all grow up and people change. Sometimes things just happen and friendships fade. I understand that now, and it has taken me some time to come to terms with that.

However, it does not change the fact that sometimes it still hurts. Sometimes I still catch myself thinking "what did I do?"  Sometimes, it is sad to realize that people aren't really who you thought they were. This is the toughest realization to come upon and it has only happened to me just recently.

I am trying not to dwell on things too much and like I said before, I realize it is important to surround myself with people that I love that love me back, unconditionally.

I know that wasting my time and energy dwelling on people who bring me down is something I simply can not choose to do anymore. After all, I have some pretty amazing people in my life.

via
This is the attitude I am striving to have. 

via


This is so true. Real friends are those that stick by you through thick and thin and never leave your side.

via  
So, I am knowing when to close the account!

12 comments:

  1. I have closed the acount a few times and it has been for the absolute best!! Things expire, friendship is no exception sometimes. If it is just 'too hard' or all one sided, or even, unhealthy, let it go. 'REAL' friends will still be there at the end of the day, not just because you want them to be, but because they want to be!!
    And..you have all of us as your new friends now too xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    I have been struggling with this too the past year. It's hard to let go of what you once had. It really is. I am a fighter for relationships and would rather work it out than just end it, but sometimes, it just is the way it is. And as much as it sucks, and hurts, at some point you have to let go and move on. It hurts to realize where you really stand, but that's when you pick up the pieces, move on, and pour yourself into the friendships that do matter, that do enrich your life and value you for who you are. It's not easy though. But there's a certain strength we find in looking at the friendships we do still have and realizing the joy we may have missed in them. I try to keep reminding myself of it. Good luck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Ashley! I can so relate to your words and feelings. I've had a few people in the past few years really show their true colors. It can come as a shock. And then, like you said, you realize there were there for a reason. And you learn from it.
    I love the quote about it not being how long you know someone...ain't that tht truth. I have a couple friends since childhood who have been there through it all, but it amazes me the relationships I've formed as I grow older. Relationships of only a few years, but ones that seem like they've been forever.
    It can be trying to think back on being mistreated...and letting go is something I've had to learn so many aspects of in these past few years.
    As always, thank you for sharing yourself and your true feelings. It is refreshing.
    And thank you for being a sweet friend. I truly appreciate your support and kindness!

    Xoxoxoxo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I soooo know where you are coming from. I have a few ''friends'' who aren't my friends anymore. I just think of them I feel sick to my stomach. Apparently I'm no longer a good friend because I'm married and have children and no longer go out in bars and I'm not available each time they decide to drop in town. I mean.. I'm 31... no need for drama anymore!

    Thanks for joining Show Some Love Linky Follower Fest Blog Hop! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I were in a negative situation before we moved. We changed up who we associated with, and where we frequented, and it made a HUGE difference in our lives. It was still hurtful, but you can take action to keep your life positive and good, and things do get better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you back from Linky Fest!! BUT...I soooo needed this! I have been struggling with my own "friend" situation. I just had to "let go". I decided to spend my time investing in those who I KNOW will do the same for me! If it's questionable? Close the account. I can't even tell you how much peace I have found! It's so good to know that in my 20's, I am not the only person still going through these things! Thanks for sharing your heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO hard. Something like this happened to me when I was 20, and I lost 2 very important friendships. Even now, 11 years later, a memory will pop up in my mind and I'll mourn those friendships a little. Time heals, but sometimes the hurt lingers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Following you back via Linky Hop! I love when people are so open and honest on their blogs! Thanks for sharing:)
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally agree with the quote that says if someone wants to be in your life they will make an effort. No need to pursue people who aren't pursuing you back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true that we have to move on, but God can use these people and the experiences to make us stronger. Love the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you stop by and follow back so we can stay connected. Lori

    ReplyDelete