Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The other morning at my MOPS group our mentor mom was leading our morning devotions. She was reading an excerpt from a book and this one happened to be about spending time with our children.

A lot of the things she said were things I already knew or had had on my heart, but for some reason it really struck a chord and I had to fight back the tears.

Yes, I know that these years, days and moments are fleeting, but lately I have felt it even more. I know I have our whole lives ahead of us but who really knows how long our lives will be?

It is hard to believe that Jaxson will be starting preschool in the fall. It is difficult to fathom that that time has almost come. It feels like just yesterday I heard his first cry.

While I welcome every new stage and age I can't help but think of it as being bittersweet too. I want to savor every minute of every day with them. I have always said that when my kids look back on their younger years that they don't remember a sparkling clean house and a mom who was always saying NO...... I want them remembering that I had the time for them. I had time to build tents, run through the sprinkler, blow bubbles and make cookies.

To be perfectly honest I sometimes kind of suck at this. I get so wrapped up in all the day to day things(which are important too) that I forget that the days are flying by.

It was such a welcome and important reminder for me. I have had a lot weighing heavily on my mind the last month and feel like I need to get back to the basics of things. 

When I think back to my childhood I remember one of my parents was always home with us. They both worked hard and hardly had days off together, but they were home when I was little and I cherish those memories.

I know that there are days that I want to rip my hair out and that I have to take a moment (or five) to have a little cry, but at the end of the day I know how blessed I am. I am truly thankful that I have been given the opportunity to  be their mother.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel like we were sepearated at birth! I know just how you feel. Lately I feel like it's been hard to just keep my head above water, but then I look at my son who is turning FIVE this October...this coming year is his last year at home with me before kindergarten!!! Talk about time moving fast!!

    I absolutely know just what you mean and resolve with you to be better at just BEING a momma to our babies and not worrying so much about everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally had me crying with this one! You are right on - it goes by way too fast, and it's so hard to juggle day to day responsibilities and precious time with your little ones.

    To be honest, this is one of my biggest struggles. If I neglect the cleaning, it really starts to get to me, but if I spend too much time cleaning, well then I think I've missed the whole purpose of it all.

    Good luck with your little one in preschool. Mine starts in September. It is literally unfathomable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such an awesome post! just what I needed! thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Ashley. Being present and being there is such a blessing and gift to Jaxson and Kendra. You are an amazing mother and woman.
    Thank you for sharing your touching words.
    And thank you for ALL of your kindness and thoughtful prayers and touching words along our journey.
    it means so much.
    Sending lots of love
    Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete