Friday, October 28, 2011

Reading a book to you....

Jaxson and I have a wonderful night time routine and and it is something I look forward to every night. He snuggles up in bed and he picks three books out to read. I pick out one book, which is always the same; it's a nursery rhyme book that he can recite all the nursery rhymes from. He also knows if I skip a few pages here and there because I am super tired.


Anyways, I picked up a book at a consignment store for .25 when it was closing and that is the best quarter I have ever spent. Have you heard of this book before? It's called "I'm Thankful Each Day", by P.K. Hallinan. This book has made it's way into our nightly rotation and I think it has a wonderful message. Not only does it teach about being thankful but it reminds me every night to be thankful for all the blessings I have. While reading it last night  I talked to Jaxson quite a bit about all that we have to be thankful for. He seemed to be really listening and taking it all in. He looked at me and said " thank you mommy for all my food and toys." It melted my heart. He just sat there with such childlike innocence staring up at me and I teared up. It made me think about all the little children who don't have near what we have and it made me feel guilty for all that I do have. I am so grateful to be able to provide for my children not only their needs but some of their wants too. Now, that I have kids of my own, other children who are less fortunate have been on my mind a lot lately. I know it isn't much but today I plan on going through all their clothes and toys and finding some to donate to a local charity here in town taking donations for foster children. It's a start.........




Here is an excerpt from the book; " I'm thankful each day for the blessings I see and for all of the gifts that have been given to me and counting the stars at the edge of the sea, I can't help but feel they were put there for me." And another that always touches me ; "and if ever I worry that trouble is near, I always remember that there is nothing to fear... for each hour is laden with infinite love...each second brings comfort and joy from above".


and on a side note..... if you are stopping by from the fall followers fest.... be sure to comment if you follow so I can follow you back. :)

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow, I am now following you back on here and pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! Melted my heart :) Sounds like a wonderful routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet sounding book. I love to donate to goodwill, because I envision parents going there maybe down on their luck, or something, but still being able to dress their kids nice and buy them things to make them happy. It warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHA!!! I just became your 100th follower! What are the stinking chances? It must be my lucky day!!!

    Thanks for following me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just really touched my heart. First of all- sharing the time to read to children is so special and one of the things I most look forward to when I someday have kids. My sister will be having kids first so I'll be more than happy to share that with my little nieces or nephews while I wait! And I think so many of us take for granted how lucky we are. I recently donated so much when I went to go move apartments- but it never quite seems enough!

    Glad I stopped by your blog and excited to follow and keep snooping around! :)
    *Krystina
    www.cupahotchocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite post so far! It brought tears to my eyes. You have such a positive and rewarding routine. Your children are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a new follower. Your blog is amazing! You are so positive about everything. I have really enjoyed reading about you and your family! I hope as my family grows I can have such neat experiences.

    hurdmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your sweet blog. i am over from the follow fest and am so glad i found you. :-) i am a new follower! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, this is SUCH a sweet post! What a lovely and thoughtful son you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That book sounds awesome! I think I need to go find it for me :) What a great way to remember each day all there is to be thankful for!

    imsimplymomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww what a sweet book, I like it! That's so great you're going to donate some things, we do that too and the kids understand there are children less fortunate than them (they are quite aware of the starving children in Africa let me tell you!)
    Enjoy those precious moments with your son...

    ReplyDelete
  12. omygoodness, what a sweet sweet message. made me teary eyed. children's books sometimes have better messages than adult books. so precious, your son recognizing all he is blessed it.
    thank you so much for your supportive and hopeful words on my blog. <3
    have a happy monday!
    xoxo
    maria

    ReplyDelete