Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rice Krispie Pumpkins!

We had so much fun making these rice krispie pumpkins!

 I saw this recipe in a magazine (I can't remember which one, though) and cut it out and filed it away. When I came across it again I knew we had to try it!

I have never made rice krispie treats before ( Crazy, I know!) and my father in law wanted me to make them for his work party. I was a little hesitant not knowing how they would turn out, but I think they turned out alright. :)


Here are the ingredients you will need:

- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 4 cups mini marshmellows ( I used 5 however because I felt they weren't gooey enough)
- Green frosting for the leaves
- Orange food coloring
- 6 cups rice krsipie cereal
- 12 bite size chocolate candies to stuff inside! * I used rolos.... yummy
- 12 green small gumdrops for the stems
- black gel if u want to make faces
This will yield roughly 12 pumpkins.... we tripled the batch.

Directions:

In a large pan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Tint with orange food coloring and then add your rice krispies. Stir until well coated.

The recipe says to use a greased 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop your portions but I just lathered my hands with butter and grabbed scoops and made my own sized pumpkins. :)
Form a pumpkin shape around your chocolate candy( the candy is optional but I think it adds a nice surprise when you bite into it) and lay it down on wax paper.

Use your green frosting to make leaves and your gumdrops for the stem.
Then I got a little creative and used black baking gel to add fun faces on them.

There you have it! Quite simple and lots of fun!
Photobucket

Come join the party!

7 comments:

  1. They look so yummy!! And I bet the kids liked them :) Although, they do have that cute little face that says "please don't eat me..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, how cute! And I love rice crispy treats. I totally need to make these. Thanks for sharing! Yours turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ashley, these are adorable and look SO good!! i've never seen these before...love them! i too, have never made rice krispie treats...what a neat idea! i will have to save this in my favorites! :) so fun!
    thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement! <3
    lots of love and a happy friday to you!
    xo
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I love any shape of rice krispie treats. Maybe I'll make these this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute, and look delicious! Thanks for the comment on my blog-the follower button seems to be messed up on yours too but I will check back later and follow then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the BEST craft for kids - easy to make and super cute! Thank you for sharing :)
    I am your newest follower from the Fest!
    Courtney
    www.lilnoodlebug.com

    ReplyDelete